Once you make the decision to decorate your home with beautiful hardwood floors, the next step is to determine the type of wood that will best suit your needs. This is no small decision, so be sure and carefully evaluate each wood type and consider the room in which it will be installed. While there are many variations available, eco friendly floors are becoming more and more popular these days.
With more of an emphasis being placed on encouraging businesses and consumers to Go Green, a lot of people are deciding to do their part by choosing to install bamboo floors in their home. Bamboo floors offer many benefits, as they are both aesthetically pleasing and environmentally friendly. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons to consider bamboo floors for your home.
- Durability: Bamboo flooring is very durable and made to last a lifetime. The traditional bamboo floors commonly found in the U.S. market are formed when bamboo is split and flattened, dried, and then laminated in layers with glue under high pressure. Traditional (or solid) bamboo is composed entirely of bamboo. Another type, referred to as strand woven bamboo flooring, is formed when strands of bamboo are cut and boiled, dried, flattened, then woven together and treated with an adhesive. Traditional bamboo flooring has Janka ratings between 1300-1600 PSI for the Natural color, and 1100-1300 for the Carbonized color. With a Janka rating of 3000, Woven Bamboo flooring is much harder and denser than traditional bamboo floors. Overall, bamboo floors are tough enough to withstand the normal wear and tear of children, pets, and foot traffic and would make a beautiful addition to any home.
- Sustainability: Since bamboo is technically a grass that grows relatively quickly, it is considered a highly renewable resource. Furthermore, bamboo does not require replanting because it regenerates on its own every 3-5 years. Therefore, no forests are destroyed in the production of bamboo flooring. Bamboo is truly an environmentally friendly flooring option that offers benefits to not only the ecosystem – but the homeowner as well.
- Low Maintenance: Bamboo floors require very little maintenance. Like hardwoods, bamboo floors should be regularly swept and mopped with the proper cleaning products as recommended by the manufacturer. Some bamboo floors are available pre-finished with several layers of sealant, making them very stain resistant. As always, proper care should be taken to wipe up spills and any dampness as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary stains.
- Adaptability: Bamboo is considered one of the most adaptable flooring options because it can be laid over a wide variety of subfloor surfaces. For example, an inexpensive plywood is a suitable enough surface for bamboo to be adhered to. Furthermore, bamboo can be installed in virtually any part of the home as it is less sensitive to temperature changes.
Bamboo floors are a great option for homeowners looking for an eco friendly product that offers the same style and durability benefits of hardwood. If you are unsure of the wood floor type that would be best for your situation, don’t be afraid to contact a professional to help guide your decision. At Universal Hardwood, we offer our customers a variety of FREE tools to help make the decision making process easier and as stress-free as possible.
Helpful Tools – Offered FREE By Universal Hardwood:
- FREE On-Site Evaluation: We send a certified hardwood flooring installer to your home to evaluate your needs and help you decide the floor type that would be best for your situation!
- FREE Floor Sample Program: “Test drive” a sample of your favorite floor in your home before making your purchase.
- FREE Interior Design Service: Using photos from your own home and our innovative design-a-room software, our professional interior designer will show you how dozens of different wood floors will look in your home – before you install it!