Hardwood floors are a valuable addition to any home. The sheer elegance that a quality hardwood floor can bring to a home is priceless. As with most things, proper care is required to maintain the lasting beauty of your investment. Overtime, natural wear and tear will take place and your wood floors may acquire a few scratches here and there. However, there are many things a homeowner can do to prevent more serious problems such as dents, stains, and other common issues.Hardwood floors are a lifetime investment. Therefore, any decisions concerning them should not be taken lightly. Homeowners should take proper precautions when cleaning hardwood floors. By following the manufacturer’s guidelines, using the correct wood floor cleaning products, and by following a few simple tips, you can easily preserve the natural beauty of your hardwood floors. Offered below are some common tips for protecting and cleaning hardwood floors.
- First and foremost – always read and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Protector pads should be placed on ALL furniture legs to prevent scratches and also allow for easy movement of furniture.
- For high traffic areas like doorways and hallways, use walk off mats or area rugs. Make sure that your rugs/mats are kept clean and dry.
- Use dry towels when wiping up messes and spills. Immediately wipe any wet spots when cleaning hardwood floors.
- Floors should be routinely swept, vacuumed, and/or dust-mopped with a hardwood floor cleaner to remove dirt and grit. Invest in a vacuum cleaner with a bare floor attachment to guarantee removal of dust and dirt.
- Use caution when walking on wood floors with high heel shoes. High heels should be kept in good condition – if they lose their protective cap, they will dent the surface of any floor.
- Keep pet nails trimmed.
- Install sheer curtains or blinds to cut down UV rays. The sun’s rays can discolor hardwood floors.
- Never use a wet mop on a hardwood floor.
- Never use ammonia cleaners, oil soaps, dust cleaners, or other floor cleaning products on hardwood floors.
- Never wax a wood floor that has a urethane finish.
At Universal Hardwood, customer satisfaction is a top priority. We want our customers to get the most out of their investment and be able to enjoy their wood floors for many years to come. By following the simple guidelines outlined above, you can greatly extend the life and natural beauty of your hardwood floors. Homeowners should become familiar with the type of hardwood floors in their homes and read all manufacturer’s guidelines before using a floor cleaning product. Only use professional wood floor cleaning products recommended by a wood flooring professional or the manufacturer of your hardwood floor product. Not doing so could void any warranty or guarantee on your hardwood floor.
Still have questions? Not sure what floor cleaning product to use on your wood floors? Contact Universal Hardwood to speak to an experienced wood flooring expert. We are happy to discuss any further questions you may have about cleaning and maintaining your wood floors.